Sometimes I find it hard to transition from being all work to being all play. Even though I *want* to play and am physically removed from my work environment, I need a little time for my brain to catch up. I've found over the years that one of the best ways to make this transition is to have a home spa day--it's simple, fun, low cost, and relaxing. It has all the perks of a fancy day spa without the bother of needing to leave the house (yes, sometimes that is too much for me when I need to recharge my batteries!). So I've compiled a list of five easy steps to help you make your own spa day. Enjoy!
1. Set the mood with music and aromatherapy. You know how all those spas have that gorgeous mellow music play in the background to help you relax? Well, that's what you need at home, too. I like the Bebel Gilberto station on Pandora or a calming instrumental station. Another thing spas do well is the aromatherapy--they have that soothing smell of gardenias or lavender wafting through them. Scent your home with candles or essential oils that help you relax. I personally love lemon or lavender oils, especially in the spring.
2. Keep it clean....and by 'it' I mean your food. One of the most important parts of a spa day is detoxing, so treat yourself to simple light meals and fresh fruit. You want to finish your day feeling lighter and brighter.
3. Hydrate. I'm a big fan of lemon water (sparkling water too!) or water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in it. Both drinks help your body detox and re-energize. I also like a mellow herbal tea like mint or chamomile to help your body adjust to your more relaxed pace.
4. Take a detox bubble bath! Plan to be there awhile. We seldom get to linger and just be so really take some time to do that in the bath. Bring a book--or two--and a big glass of water or tea. Now would also be a good time to indulge in my honey face mask or other simple beauty treats like my easy peasy baking soda face scrub, which can also double as a gentle body scrub.
5. Ritualized the spa day. Start it with a gentle exercise, yoga, or meditation (or all of the above!). Really take the time to consciously focus on your personal wellness. End the day with a long nap and simple dinner (chia seed pudding might even make a healthy evening treat).
At at the end of the day, what you are doing is creating a soothing healing zone in your home using all five of your sense. A spa day is a good day to indulge in self-care and quiet--two things the world seldom values over busyness and noise. Yet if we don't take time to care for ourselves, we cease to enjoy the pleasures of everyday life.
What is your favorite home spa day ritual?
Enchantment Learning & Living is an inspirational blog celebrating life’s simple pleasures, everyday mysticism, and delectable recipes that are guaranteed to stir the kitchen witch in you. If you enjoyed what you just read and believe that true magic is in the everyday, subscribe to my newsletter below for regular doses of enchantment. Want even more inspiration? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. Here’s to a magical life!