In honor of Earth Day, I'd like to offer a few easy tips I've developed over the years to become eco-friendlier. Typically when we think of going green, we conjure up images of having to buy really expensive organic goods (so not true!) or attempting to make drastic lifestyle changes all at once--an overwhelming task! In fact, there are many simple ways to be greener without dramatically changing your day to day routine. What matters is baby steps--simple changes make all the difference in the long run. As you get used to one change, you can throw in a new way to be eco-conscious.
1. Use what you have. Seriously, it sounds simple, but many people can be tempted to throw out perfectly good household items simply because they aren't green or organic. But where does the stuff that you throw out go? Landfills--and landfills equal frowny face.
2. Shop local. Less travel time for produce and other goods means less of a negative impact on the environment. This is also a great tip for supporting local business and get to know your community. Co-ops and farmers' markets are great places to start!
3. Make your own cleaning supplies. You don't have to shell out big bucks to green your home, even though most organic cleaning brands would have you think otherwise. Try whipping up a batch of this all-purpose cleaner for your basic cleaning needs. Also keep in mind that distilled vinegar and baking soda work wonders for cleaning and are both super cheap.
4. Recycle. It's worth the effort! Same goes for when you need to buy new things--opt for buying things at antique and secondhand stores. Not only are you buying one of a kind furniture and other goodies, but you are recycling in its most basic form.
5. Walk (or bike) where you can. The exercise is good for you and the environment. Now I can't really walk to work since it is on the other side of town. But when the weekend hits, I like to stick to my own neighborhood so I can walk everywhere--to the store, to the park, to a restaurant.
And always remember--if it's good for the earth, it's good for you!
Enchantment Learning & Living is an inspirational blog celebrating life’s simple pleasures, everyday mysticism, and delectable recipes that are guaranteed to stir the kitchen witch in you. If you enjoyed what you just read and believe that true magic is in the everyday, subscribe to my newsletter below for regular doses of enchantment. Want even more inspiration? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. Here’s to a magical life!